Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Castles and Cinemas


Wednesday, June 18, 2008
La Rochelle
La Renommee Café

It’s busy in La Rochelle with ferries coming and going, lots of regattas and sailing schools to play dodgems with!

Not an internet café but a corner café at the unfashionable end of the port, close to a building site! I was on my way to the showers – 3 yacht basins away from where we are so a bit inconvenient for the loo – when I saw 4 or 5 blokes letting themselves in to the shiny aluminium building that houses the 1 or 2 toilets and showers that seemingly serve the several hundred berths here. So I thought I’d give it a miss, at least for a while. As I’ve already mentioned, facilities here can be a bit intimate.

Weather today is cloudy – although promised to be sunny and hot. The people who give out the sailing Meteo are still on strike. So off to the Internet place (NOT a café) to post this and trawl the wwweather. We might stay in La R another day. Al’s enjoying it here – it’s an interesting city with lots to see including several cinemas practically at the end of our pontoon in the Vieux Port. (I have just realised that the word for ‘door’ and ‘port’ are pretty much the same in French. I suppose both are openings leading to the rest of the world.)

No comments: