Saturday, 25 May 2013

Songs, sales, sails & sausages


Sunny afternoon for Marans modest celebration  The French seem to do modest quite well.

See that bit of blue sky?


Eating, drinking and music.  Sausages NOT vegetarian so had coffee and cake.


I feel as though I have arrived now, with a quick trip into La Rochelle this morning for supplies - BLOC almanac (an essential compendium of times, tides and harbours), firing cartridges for lifejackets and a can of yacht cleaner.  Pretty quiet at Minimes despite the presence of several hundred - maybe thousand - boats.  I got back in time to catch the market - a pathetic 3 stalls in a space that was designed for many more - 2 veg and 1 fish.  I bought from the same old geezer who I've been buying from since 2008 when we arrived here for the first time.  I spent 22 € on veg. so well stocked for a while - early broad beans, artichoke, beautiful leeks - and much much more -mostly from the geezer's garden.
    I was also in time for the Fete at Marans - bought a can of paint for 2€ - nice to get a bargain after a 3 figure spend in La Rochelle chandlery.  It was a typique French celebration - quite a few familiar faces, including my neighbour (Applecart) and M. Julien from the Charron boatyard.  There were a couple of traditional craft - heavy tan sails and a sculling oar that makes a very distinctive clunking sound as the boats pass by.  So pleased that the sun shone for this little town today.
    I am hoping that my video uploads - I'd like you to hear the little band - accordions (little and large) 2 guitars and all singing.
     Today's boat work - putting on the spray hood, just in case the weather doesn't hold. 




1 comment:

expat said...

The vid doesn't ruun for me