Tuesday, 12 June 2018

It's been a long time...

So - I am sitting on Snork Maiden and it's June 2018.  We have made flying visits during the last couple of years but I am sad to say that we haven't managed to sail her since 2014.  We made a deliberate decision to skip a year in 2015.  We felt that it was time to have a different adventure and we deided on a road trip to Sardinia.  It worked well, and that, together with a delivery trip from Turkey to Portsmouth, persuaded me that I wanted to see more of the Mediterranean, and what better way than in our own boat.  So - a new plan was born. But, as they say, no plan survives encounter with the enemy, or in this case, just life.  That's why I am looking at  major, although mainly cosmetic, clean up, 4 years later. We also have to have a survey before our insurers allow us to get back in the water - that's happening on Thursday - the day after tomorrow. 
Yacht delivery S/Y Ono approaching the bridge across the Gulf of Corinth.

This delivery started in early April from Dalaman (I think, no log with me).  Skipper plus mate plus me. This was my first delivery for PYD and a great starting point.  Skipper and mate both easy to get on with, quiet sorts who knew about boundaries and took an interest in cooking.  It reminded me how a good boat can handle most of what's thrown at her. 

This is quite a round about way of saying that we are seriously thinking of selling the lovely Snork Maiden, having decided that she's not an ideal candidate for the Med, however we might choose to get her there.  Depending on the survey, it may be foolish or at least impractical to think of launching in less than 2 weeks from now, as we had planned.  And there's another consideration: if we decide to sell, it should be the new owner who makes the choices, not ourselves.  Anyway, tomorrow is another day...  I will try to get the new batteries fitted and check out the nav. equipment.  If that goes well, I will start on the clean up outside.  Reefing lines are very discoloured - maybe time for a change. 

No comments: