Sunday, 29 March 2020

Yoga by ZOOM


I really should have taken a photo, but let's just pretend we are in the time of Jane Austin, and I will just tell you that I set up in our living room / kitchen, with 2 mats and all my various yoga bits (blankets, bolsters, yada yada...)  laptop on the table linked to JBL portable stereo speaker, shutters closed on 2 windows, and settled in to a 2 hour session given by B.K.S. Iyengar to support the immune system, originally prompted by SARS outbreak. Many inversions - including 15 minutes of headstand.  Just so good to be with a group, and Gerry (Chambers) has a great delivery for this kind of session.  Calm, clear, supportive - thanks, Gerry, if you're reading this.  ZOOM is winning me over - at the start and end of the session so good to hear and see many of my yoga friends from Bristol and elsewhere, as Gerry taught from EASTWEST yoga's home studio in Exmouth.  If any of you are interested,have a look at the website. I can't wait to do the next class with Lynda.
https://www.eastwestyoga.org.uk/

Shopping: 
This is one of our local supermarkets.  The point isn't the full shelves, although mostly they are, it's that it is a new experience for me to plan and buy for a week.  At home in Bristol we have an erratic collection of weekly veg deliveries from Riverford,  buying in bulk from Essential Trading and topping up from the Co-op across the river, or Better Foods, now conveniently situated on our side of the dock.  Anyway, the task here is plan and shop for a week to avoid as much exposure as possible.  We have worked out a strategy whereby Al goes off in search of dry goods (not to say, bottled goods) while I join in the meleé around the fresh fruit and veg.  This is aimiable enough but since everything has be weighed and bagged at one point, by a supermarket employee, it is a bottleneck, and social distancing easily overlooked.  I found myself chatting in Greek to another shopper over the spinach and didn't realise until later that we had been less than 2 metres apart whilst rummaging through said veg.  There is control over how many shoppers allowed in at one time - hence the empty aisles.  There is also a 2 metre line back from the cheese counter, behind which we must stand, until the packages are ready and we can step forward as the counter person steps back.  Like a barn dance.  The Greek Government is considering implementing a one way system in the supermarket, so no nipping back for another can of beans or pack of spaghetti.  Probably a good thing.  I think I might try the veg shop in the square next time,  In the Pharmacy, it's strictly one at a time. Hopefully the same with the veg,  I need to exercise my Greek and the woman in the veg shop is the ideal victim, since she speaks no English.

That was going to be all for tonight, but here's a bonus video.  I tried making dolmades.  The vine leaves were tough, but the filling turned out ok. Hope it works.  I sound like a harridan.  Once a director...

That's it.  Καλενιχτα.  

😘




2 comments:

expat said...

We tried dolmades once, too, just to see what it was like. Our conclusion was that shop-bought ones are better.

Snork Maiden said...

I think it’s all down to the vine leaves! Mine came in a jar, but they were tough, even after the obligatory 5 minute blanching. On the plus side, the local greengrocer has fresh ones, but I am not going to put myself through it anytime soon. Our neighbour Despoina makes really nice ones. Apparently you can get a machine to do the wrapping!