Monday, 18 May 2009

GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME

Sunday, May 17, 2009

After a grim day yesterday - cold, rainy, frustrating and 2 hot water bottles in my sleeping bag at night - today was much better. I have been watching Bergman’s ‘Scenes from a Marriage’ and stopped at a low point on Friday night. Saturday night was almost a happy ending, at least by Bergman’s standards. As a production it’s beautifully sparse in terms of design - very different from contemporary film & television. Shot sizes are also used to maximum effect. The first time the camera leaves the wide is a jolt and the first real close-up is a real thrill.

The rain cleared by mid-morning, and I was able to get on with my work. Managed to join 2 hoses and get a water supply on the boat. Cleaned the deck, cockpit and hull - now ready for anti-fouling. Forecast promises sunshine tomorrow. The rust line between keel and was in pretty good shape after wire brushing and metal paint last year. Not sure what happened to last year’s pots, so have used Hammerite to patch up the spots of rust that have come through. (As you know, Hammerite can be painted over rust.)

I was so happy that I made lunch, and at the end of the day, went to have a shower. Earlier in the day I had rolled up my work jeans to just below the knee to accommodate my wellies. (The yard is wet with rain, and with pools of water from the hose that can’t be turned off.) Now, here’s the problem: my calves are not thin. They aren’t even normal. They look like they belong to a football player - or a ballet dancer, if I’m being nice to myself. I don’t think it’s possible to lose weight from the calves - unless approaching serious starvation, and even then… So my first attempts were futile. I kept thinking ‘what goes up must come down kind of thoughts, but that didn’t help. I tried turning them inside out and tugging them floorwards that way. No good. Now I am feeling ridiculous and starting to panic. What to do? Maybe I have nail scissors and can cut myself free. No, I don’t. Only way out is to get them back again the right way, and slowly and painstakingly unrolling the turn-ups and finally persuading first one side and then the other over the unyielding muscle. Yikes! Could they have grown to the size of watermelons in one afternoon?

“Hi Eric, did you forget to pack your calves?” This was one of the shark boys on the wild coast greeting the very skinny aeroplane pilot. I’d have changed place with Eric like a shot. Then I could have tucked the jeans into my wellies and none of this would have happened.

Almost out of time and battery. (If there were but time enough and battery enough…) Going to get the hottie ready and crawl into my bed with a good (or probably not so good) book. (Thanks for the Laura Lipmann, Sal. Got me through last night. A bit American for my taste, but I liked seeing Gloria turning up in a different context.)

Bon nuit et beaucoup des reves belles. Pretty sky & birdy evening.

No comments: