PROPERTY SUPPLEMENT
As some of you know, we have thought, and are still thinking, about buying a small spread in rural France. We are talking an acre or so of land and some falling down barns. We are looking to spend around 40,000 euros to start with and amazingly enough that would buy us something not too far from La Rochelle. Then we are not planning to do very much with it for a while, but eventually would sell for a different location or stay where we are and convert. We found a pretty good place last year – near Thouras in Deux Sevres, but couldn’t quite make up our minds in time – it may come on the market again, so we’ll have a second chance at indecision. We might also take some time to look around the Bordeaux area – but only if the weather is not good enough to sail!
If any of you are interested in this kind of idea - and you like us …..
and now the (b)log
This was written before the changeover to this genuine internet blog!
Many of you couldn't receive it since the pix made it too big. So here it is:
Sunday, April 27, 2008
This is just a pic from last year to remind you all what its about and re-introduce our good friends the outboard motor and the horseshoe lifebuoy.
This is the start of this year’s voyage of the Snork Maiden – well, launch minus x days, where x is a number between 8 and 17 + or – y, where y is the screw-up / good luck factor. I am leaving for France, with the car, overnight on May 6th, provided I’m ready and that doesn’t seem all that likely just now. It usually comes together at the last minute, I tell myself.
The other variable for getting the boat in the water is the boatyard, more specifically, Dominique, the owner/mechanic. It is our experience that nothing much happens with any yard until there is a warm owner’s body within around 250metres. This year there isn’t too much work – a repair to the fibreglass damage that was done when the boat was lifted last year, the long-overdue toilet service, repositioning the fuel filter… and finding out why the electrics went completely dead just before we left. So far as we can tell, he hasn’t really started on anything yet, except maybe the fibreglass. It would be good if that’s done, because it is stinky.
We also need to fit lazy jacks to help manage the new mainsail. That we will probably do in La Rochelle, where there are plenty of riggers, chandlers etc. although they will all be very busy at this time of year. That’s also a bit of a DIY job after the riggers have fitted the bits to the mast and boom. Lazy jacks are basically bits of string that go between the mast (above the spreaders) and the boom – imagine an upside-down ‘Y’ shape. When the sail is lowered the bits of string stop the sail piling all over the deck, and mare-or-less stack it onto the boom.
So I catch the ferry at 2200 from Plymouth, have a glass of red wine, check out the escape route from my cabin (clean sheets, no shower), and lie down for a night next to the engine room and somewhere below the car decks. Last time there was a really irregular noise – like always listening for the second shoe to drop – again, and again, all night. Then coffee at 7-ish and excitement as we approach Roscoff harbour – well, I am excited. Usually the weather is a bit grim but I look forward to the drive and the Snork Maiden, and getting back on the water. Brittany is really exciting – it’s the huge tides, seeing navigational lights standing on rocks, clear out of the water, waking up surrounded by rocks you couldn’t see when you went to sleep!
The drive to Marans (just N of La Rochelle) takes about four and a half hours, without stops. There are roadside picnic stops, and gas stations that do pretty good coffee. I had a tough time last year, looking for a toilet for what felt like hours – few and far between on the rural roads. This time I’ll stick to the N roads and autoroutes.
I can’t remember if I said, but when I drove down to the boat last September, I forgot the key. Do we have a spare? Yes, but it was inside the boat! I had to borrow giant bolt cutters from one of the neighbouring boats, and slice through the padlock. It was the first time I had used them in anger. Every boat carries them in case the mast comes down (can happen when the boat broaches) in which case they are used to cut the rigging free. Nice to know they work. Actually the big ones are very awkward to use – the ones we carry are ratcheted and much easier to handle. I suppose in an emergency the adrenaline helps too. This year I will put the key on the checklist! I even have the code to the yard gates in case I arrive out of hours.
So – the job list includes general sorting out, airing the boat, changing batteries on all the equipment, recharging the lifejackets etc etc. Water tanks need to be topped up, engine tried out and the big one – anti-fouling. That entails cleaning down the old coat and roughing it with sandpaper to make a key for the new coats (2). Best thing is probably discovering the clothes I left on the boat last time – like meeting old friends.
The idea is that all this gets finished by the time Al flies down! Ideally Snork Maiden will be afloat and ready to go. But where?
First stop will be either St Martin de Re – last season’s final port or La Rochelle. We could then cruise the rest of the Ile de Re, either way. Also Ile d’Oleron, Ile d’Aix, and I am keen to go to Rochefort. I’d also like to go to Bordeaux, although there are varied reports of the slog up the river. However, the big question is do we go to Spain?
Right now, feeling slightly cold and looking out at the Bristol drizzle and thinking that Spain might be a good thing. A lot depends on how soon we are ready to go, and what the weather is like. If there’s a NE wind and little swell, it would be tempting to make for Northern Spain, land of sun and tapas.
Some dates – we are planning to sail at least until the end of June. Stuart & Gayle (friends from San Diego that some of you know) will be in Soubes (Languedoc) from 8 July – staying at the Mas. I am going to see if I can drive down and join them for a few days – either tent or B&B. Then possibly back to tuck up the Snork Maiden until we come back in late August / September. A lot depends on where we are at the end of June, of course, and how far I have to go to retrieve the car. I have booked a return ferry for July 15. Most things are open to some degree of change. Anyway – you all have our mobile numbers and I will send out the French mobile number when I can find it. Anyone who wants to come and visit, get in touch and we’ll see what we can do. Snork Maiden is good for 3, OK for 4, but you have to be sailing people or readily adaptable. Of course, you have to like us too.
Anyway – I have to stop writing and start getting back to serious preparations. I have chosen my wardrobe – or at least have a short list thanks to Lynda. Now just some bits and pieces that I have left far too late, always forgetting how busy everyone becomes as the sailing season gets going. On the list : new mainsheet, sailing gloves, mount for autopilot and impeller for speed log (we’ve sailed without this navigational aid for 3 seasons and might make it 4), antifouling and FOOD.
Speaking of which, I am off to make the supper before it gets dark. Must be already there in my head.
Bye shipmates, more when I get to France.
.
1 comment:
*waves* hahah thats a bad pun allready,
my bad.
yehh i thort id get commenting up, thort you neaded one! or more
Also Bolt cutters eah! what do thay look like?
anyhu iv been bloging too! well trying to be, http://maxscene.uber.com/blog
yehh well stay safe,
<3
Maxscene.
Post a Comment