Wednesday, 5 June 2013

Cockpit B(log) Approaching Sunset & Al’s Birthday 4 June




That’s approaching sunset in the sense of time – not distance-time since we are still out of the water, the Snork Maiden & me.  It is warmer this evening and the wind has dropped to a mere whisper.  The ever-present cuckoo is still going, and the swallows are twittering in the trees that surround the abandoned house.  The evening heron has done his / her evening scout and a pair of ducks head West.  I suppose this is bucolic.  I had to ask Gayle Kidder what that word meant – I think I had always avoided it, made up as it is of ‘bubonic’ and ‘colic’ – neither of which are any fun at all.  I try using it sometimes but it still conjures up nasty bodily states, so I think I will officially abandon it.
            I really want to write about writing, and I’d appreciate comments from other blogsters out there, and their (and my) readers.  First, a technicality: does anyone know of any good free, or even cheap, offline blogs?  It’s a bit of a bore having to generate text & pix separately and then put them togethr in precious online time.  Second issue:  what do you like better – longish essay type blogs or short diary entries?  I have been listening to Alan Bennett’s Untold Stories, read by himself.  They are all short, many of them less than a minute, and rarely more than 2.  Highly recommended, but it does leave me feeling that I am still at the start line. I am also nervous of too much description of character, in case the describee reads the b(log). I think I will try to stick to reportage in this respect.  I first had Laurent down as a taciturn single-handed type.  He is actually generous and social.  He’s planning to run a saling school, trips for small families, teenager wrangling, cruises – all on his lovely boat, recently renovated and today re-named with proper ceremony.  It required another social lunch and a bottle of bubbly.

And today is Al’s birthday! 

This looks like landscape - it's actually our old anode.  It has done 2 years and now there's a shiny new one.


The sun is peeking yellowly from behind a bank of cloud and sea birds are making a noise like cats.  Probably time to slot the boards in and go to bed.  Trying for an early start on the dreaded antifouling in the morning.

PS. Laurent’s boat is called BOW – great name, I think.  And our mast is UP.

COMING SOON: the launch & a meditation on tools

No comments: