Death and dying are much avoided topics, but this frank discussion with palliative care doctor Kathryn Mannix is really helpful. She has gently pushed the boat out onto the Styx for thousands of people, or maybe better to say she has watched the current take them. Either way, she seems to know what she's talking about and is clearly not scared of death herself, since she is about to leave an early retirement and go back to the NHS during the Covid-19 emergency.
You might be wondering why this photo of a white blurry dot in a blue sea. Well, this is the only view of the Kissamos ferry that we are going to get for quite a while! This is what we can see from our window / balcony, every Thursday and Sunday. Although passanger services have come to a halt except for residents of Crete coming home, the ferry chugs bravely on, bringing supplies. I think that much of the produce we buy is grown here, but there's all that pasta...
What does this have to do with a woman in pink, a bike and a weird Kooky road sign? The woman is my friend and long time adventurer, Marylene. She and partner Marcos escaped on the last ferry out from Italy, with the aim of touring Greece and visiting us here in Crete... well, best laid plans, but she reports that they are well and ensconced on a Pelopponese campsite. They will head back home to Spain when they can. At the moment they are happy campers.I was going to show you a photo of a giant grasshopper, locust thing that planted itself on my leg, but the photo is on Al's phone and he can't be disturbed. Just have to wait until next time. It will be worth it.
Stay safe, people. Thanks to all those who comment, publicly and privately!

2 comments:
Looks like a peaceful place to ride out the storm. Wish I could visit, too! By the end of hte summer I expect you to be speaking fluent Greek.
I hope so, but it's hard! Especially since I have no-one to talk to in this time of social distance. I can ask for a beer, go shopping etc, but it is a language where everything has to agree and cases are important. Even Proper names change between Nominative and Accusative!
Post a Comment