Thursday, 16 April 2020

Upstairs Downstairs

Well, it's a week since the last blog and today I feel a bit blogstipated, if you get my meaning.  So here's AL working away upstairs on earthMusic while I am making lunch downstairs!  

I really enjoy cooking with the ingredients I can buy here, especially the fresh veg, (τα λαχανικά). So here's my gift to you today, courtesy of Diane Kochilas and her book, The Greek Vegetarian.

Lentil Soup with Chard or Spinach

Measures are in cups, but I am sure you can all work this out for yourselves.  Quantities 6-8, so we usually eat it for 2 meals, or cut quantities.  Up to you.  It’s a really simple soup, but my advice is try it as it is, then add ingredients if you think it lacking.  I think it’s perfect.

1/2 cup olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
2 large cloves of garlic
2 cups large or small green lentils (I usually scale down here)
1 can chopped tomatoes (use fresh if cheap)
1 pound (!) spinach, prepared as you do, and finely chopped. (I don’t mean cooked or blanched)
6 or 8 cups of water
Salt & pepper
1 or 2 dried chillies to taste
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
Salt and pepper

1.  Heat oil & cook onions until soft, add garlic towards end.  Add lentils and toss in oil to coat.
2.  Add tomatoes.  Reduce a bit, then add water. [At this point I would pressure cook, adding the spinach later.]. Otherwise, add spinach, bring to the boil, simmer, covered for around 50 minutes to 1 hour, until lentils are cooked.  (I think that it is, in any case better to add spinach after lentils are cooked.)
  3.   Adjust seasoning, add vinegar 5 minutes before finishing cooking.  (I am not so keen on vinegar aspect.      Maybe just a splash of balsamic.   


Coming soon: tomorrow 😃

1 comment:

Snork Maiden said...

I pressure cook them for about 5 minutes. I prefer small lentils myself.