Saturday, 4 April 2020

Put Down Your Camera



4 April 2020
I was going to make this a blog without photos, taking the advice of DAVID HOCKNEY that we should all put down our cameras and start drawing-Well, I have made a beginning but I haven't yet decided whether or not you will see 'olives in the wind'?

OK. That's an early attempt at painting with my iPad.  Not quite David H. But it was a good break after Greek over Skype.  Apparently memory is improved if you can empty your mind followung trying to learn somethng.  In this case, the nominative and accusative cases. Today was my second Greek lesson of the week. A three round wrestling match with the nominative and the accusative. Nothing conceptually dicticult just endings to remember.

The view today is no view. Today there are strong winds from the South and our view has completely disappeared in a cloud of Saharan dust. Normally we would see the sea and the harbour from here. You can see a cute olive tree. On the plus side, it's a warm wind so maybe no need for the log fire tonight. Shame since it is much easier to light when it is windy. 
Later -Actually, we did light it.


As I write this, I am waiting for the start of Lois STEINBERG's class on a Zoom from Urbana, Illinois. The virus lock-in has been a bonus in terms of classes while we are in Greece. Now I have a choice of international senior teachers, right here in the room!  I hope some of the teachers keep their Zoom classes in place if & when all this is over.

Here is my set-up at the kitchen end of our ground floor living room. 2 mats to minimise reorganisation whilst the class is going on.

We had a long-ish walk this morning, starting out past our neighbour Max's house. She's in lock-in with her 4 dogs. Like Juliet she appeared on her balcony to wave and have one of the "I'm Ok, are you ok?" conversations that we are all having at the moment. Her partner died recently so her isolation must be truly poignant.

Almost time for class. Al is about to be evicted from the sofa to his makeshift studio upstairsand I am headed for my mat.

Later - Al has made a playlist for these times:
https://open.spotify.com/user/lghm7q60oeer9x6dc50ogmzp4/playlist/3xvN6U4DvpEY7vTBF4vkvU?si=hCNA_6Q9Qgq_b4QORSPpsA

I am afraid you have to wait until tomorrow for the leg and giant insect photo.  Goves you something to look forward to 🤪 

No comments: